Changes to the PRD (performance review & development) process
At Argyll and Bute Council, quality conversations are at the heart of how we do our business. Having the skills and confidence to engage in quality conversations with our colleagues, partners and communities is one of our key priorities.
We have listened to your feedback about the annual PRD process and our approach has changed. Our updated approach is based on measuring and improving outcomes from the conversations that managers and employees have about performance, behaviours and career/development aspirations.
This change is informed by feedback from you, that an annual PRD meeting was not always the best way to approach performance and career conversations. Instead a number of you felt that conversations about objectives, behaviours, skills and development form part of an ongoing regular dialogue between employees and line managers.
With immediate effect therefore you no longer need to hold annual PRD meetings or send records of PRD meetings to the HROD team.
To help make this new approach work for everyone, we have produced guidance which outlines a set of outcomes that we expect will be achieved through quality conversations between line managers and employees.
What is changing?
- Managers choose, with their team, how they want to meet these outcomes. Some of you may choose to retain an annual meeting. Some of you may find alternative ways which better suit the way your team works.
- The new agreed outcomes apply to everyone including employees who are not office based or were not previously eligible for a PRD meeting.
- We will measure outcomes in an annual survey of employees and managers. This will be run by HROD.
- You no longer need to hold annual PRD meetings or send records of these to HROD. However, if you would prefer to continue the use the PRD form to record your conversations a copy is still available below for you to use.
- Managers are still required to carry out annual Driving License and business insurance check for staff who drive pool cars or use their own car for business use. The dates of these checks are now entered on MyView by managers, see MyView (opens in new widow) for guidance
What do I need to do?
- Familiarise yourself with the guidance on the new approach.
- If you are a manager, have a discussion with your team about what you might put in place in order that you can achieve these outcomes.
- The webinars that were held to support this change have now finished, however you can view a copy of the webinar content below.