Ulva Primary School has received gold accreditation in UNICEF UK’s Rights Respecting School programme.
UNICEF is the world’s leading organisation working for children and their rights. The Rights Respecting Schools Award is presented to schools that show commitment to promoting and realising children’s’ rights and encouraging adults, children and young people to respect the rights of others in school.
Assessors visited the school, where they spoke with staff and pupils and highlighted the following strengths:
- Children confidently discuss a range of rights and recognise why they are important and relevant in their lives.
- There is a passionate commitment to children’s rights and the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child is evident in all aspects of school life.
- The school promotes diversity and inclusion to ensure pupils feel safe and secure
- Pupil voice is valued highly in the school community.
- Pupils feel listened to and involved in decision making at all levels, making a positive difference locally and globally.
Argyll and Bute Council’s Policy Lead for Education, Councillor Yvonne McNeilly, said: “The Rights Respecting Schools Award is an incredibly prestigious title and the children and staff at Ulva have worked very hard to achieve this, particularly at gold level.
“All children and young people have a right to be seen, to be heard, and to feel valued, and it is vital they know their rights. Ulva Primary is going to great lengths to embed these across the school and ensure they underpin every facet of school life. Huge congratulations to everyone involved.”
Head Teacher at Ulva Primary, Susie Carmichael, said: “This award would not have been possible without the dedication and hard work of all staff and pupils and the support from our families and community members. It has been a long but worthwhile journey and the work of the UNICEF Rights Respecting School Award has made such a positive impact on our school. This award is one that makes the entire Ulva Primary School community very proud.
NOTES TO EDITOR
Argyll and Bute schools accredited by UNICEF UK’s Rights Respecting School programme are as follows:
Hermitage Academy; Hermitage Primary School; Lochdonhead Primary School; and Ulva Primary School.
Arrochar Primary School; Cardross Primary School; Dunoon Primary School; Kilcreggan Primary School; Kilmodan Primary School; Lochdonhead Primary School; Lochgoilhead Primary School; Rhu Primary School; and St Andrew’s Primary School.